About Us Calendar Facts FAQs Job Opportunities Photo Gallery Salford Township History
Local BOS Secure Portal County State Federal
Agendas & Minutes Boards and Committees Meeting Schedule Open Records/Right to Know Document Center
Roads Administrative Zoning Parks and Recreation Finance & Tax Collection Staff Directory Public Sewer Emergency Management
Build & Zoning Questions Bingo Elected Officials Homeowners Association Indian Valley Public Library Local Hospitals Links to Local Businesses New to Area News & Announcements Parks & Open Space Quarry School Districts SepticSmart Stormwater Management Trash Collection Recycling Veterans Voting Information Zoning Ordinances/Map
Contact Us / Report A Concern Fire Department Police Ambulance TransNet Special Needs Registry Power Outage Water Testing
Apply For Contact Find Get Register Report a Concern View

About Us Calendar Facts FAQs Job Opportunities Photo Gallery Salford Township History

Salford Township History

Settlement began as early as 1717.  A township named Salford had been established about 1727 and contained upwards of thirty thousand (30,000) acres of land and included what is now known as Lower Salford, Upper Salford, Marlborough and Franconia Townships. 

Franconia Township was separately organized in 1731.  Then in 1741 the inhabitants considered the township too large and unwieldy for government, following petition and by order of the Court of Quarter Sessions, in March 1741, the remaining part of the original Salford territory was divided into Lower Salford, Upper Salford and Marlborough Townships; none was give the name Salford.

The following roads were laid for transportation:  Allentown (1734), Cowpath (1740), County Line to Tylersport (1766) – in 1767 an important highway Ridge Road was laid through the township along the high land bordering Ridge Valley Creek.  This and building of other roads stimulated settlement.

In 1879, Upper Salford was divided into two voting districts, with the eastern portion voting in Tyler’s Port.  Thirteen years later, in 1892, this separation became permanent and the eastern district was named Salford.  Thus Salford Township came into being again.

SALFORD TOWNSHIP as it now exists was not separately organized from Upper Salford Township until 1892, but its history dates back to the first half of the 18th Century.  Traditions survive about an early tract of land called “the thousand acres” (tract really did exist) purchased by Thomas Mayburry in 1742 which included the present Village of Tylersport.  The “thousand acre tract” remained in the Mayburry family until 1797 when it was sold to pay family debts and most desirable part was divided into forty lots of 5 – 25 acres along the 2 roads north of Ridge Road.   This was the beginning of the Village of Tylersport – though it did not get its name until years later.  The village was called Cressmanville until a post office was established there in 1842.  The postmaster renamed it Tyler’s Port, in honor of John Tyler who a year before had succeeded to the presidency upon the death of William Harrison.

In 1880, the village had 50 houses, a "segar" factory, a Belgian Block factory, and 224 inhabitants.  In 1893, four gristmills were active including Whites Mill, Dietz Mill and the Cowpath Road and Fretz Road mills.  

In 1895, the present spelling of Tylersport was adopted.  


E-News Sign Up
Keep up to date with Salford Township!